Do you suffer from dry, dull skin? My skin is notoriously dry, especially in winter and it can be so hard to figure out what to use. But, there is one thing that works wonders for dry skin: sugar and coconut oil scrub!
Sugar and coconut oil have many benefits for your skin and basic sugar scrub is super easy to make! It can make a huge difference in the appearance and feel of your skin with regular exfoliation.
The reason homemade scrub promotes healthy skin is that the sugar acts as an exfoliant, removing dead skin cells and leaving soft, smooth skin underneath. The coconut oil provides skin hydration, leaving your skin feeling nourished and moisturized.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. This is not medical advice. I am not a doctor. All opinions are my own.
Therefore, using a sugar and coconut oil scrub regularly will improve the overall health and appearance of your skin if you use it regularly. Your skin will be brighter, softer, and more even in tone.
Sugar scrub works particularly well on problem areas such as heels and elbows. It is all-natural, has simple ingredients, and is so easy to make at home! You can even add essential oils for added benefits and aroma.
I’m always a big fan of making skin care products yourself so you know what ingredients are in them. That way you can avoid harmful chemicals that hide in common products such as deodorant, eyebrow wax, and even tampons!
In this blog post, we’ll be discussing 7 surprising benefits of using a sugar and coconut oil scrub and I’ll share a DIY recipe so you can make your own at home!
Sugar and Coconut Oil Scrub Benefits
Here are a few of the many benefits of sugar and coconut oil scrub that you can get when you use it regularly!
The first and most obvious benefit of using a sugar and coconut oil scrub is exfoliation. Sugar is a natural exfoliant which means it helps to remove dead skin cells leaving skin smooth and glowy. Who doesn’t want glowy skin?!
The sugar granules in the scrub are great for unclogging pores and removing dead skin cells but are still gentle enough to use on your face. Exfoliation can help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and acne.
After you use it your skin will feel refreshed and look brighter!
If you have dry skin this benefit is for you! Using a sugar and coconut oil scrub brings moisture to the skin because coconut oil is a great moisturizer. It is often used to nourish and hydrate skin.
Coconut oil is a natural emollient, which means it can trap moisture inside the skin cells which helps the skin stay moistened and soft. When you use the scrub it can help reduce dry and flaky skin and leave skin smooth and silky!
For added moisture, you can put on homemade tallow balm after. Trust me it’s the best!
It seems everyone is always searching for anti-aging products. With the rise of botox and fillers, it’s nice to have a natural option.
Using a sugar and coconut oil scrub can help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals because of the antioxidants in coconut oil. Which is amazing because damage from free radicals can lead to signs of aging.
Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage the skin’s cells and cause wrinkles, age spots, and fine lines. Coconut oil has antioxidants that can neutralize free radicals and help to protect the skin.
4) Acne prevention
Coconut oil has amazing antibacterial properties that help to prevent the growth of acne-causing bacteria on the skin. The buildup of bacteria and oil on the skin is what causes acne so using coconut oil can reduce the number of bacteria on the skin.
Using a scrub can prevent new breakouts and reduce the appearance of acne which makes it perfect for acne-prone skin!
Sugar contains natural glycolic acid which can help to brighten the skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots. Glycolic acid works to exfoliate the top layer of the skin which can help improve the appearance of pigmentation.
When you use a sugar scrub it will gently remove dead skin cells and your skin will be brighter, more even-toned after!
6) Stimulation of collagen production
Collagen is a protein that gives the skin its elasticity and structure and keeps it looking young. Collagen production slows down as we age which can lead to wrinkles and sagging skin.
Using a scrub as a gentle massage can help to increase blood flow and stimulate collagen production. This will help your skin to be younger looking, firmer, and improve skin tone!
7) Improving circulation
Using an exfoliator on your skin such as sugar and coconut oil scrub can help improve blood circulation. When you exfoliate your skin, you remove the dead skin cells.
Dead skin cells can clog up your pores and restrict blood flow so it’s important to remove them. When you remove the dead cells, you are allowing the blood to flow freely, which can help to nourish the skin and leave it looking healthy and glowy.
DIY Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
- First, get a medium-sized bowl and mix together the sugar (preferably organic sugar) and room temperature coconut oil until well combined.
- You can substitute other carrier oils such as olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, and other kinds of sugar such as brown sugar, cane sugar, or coconut sugar.
- Optionally you can add in essential oils of your choice such as peppermint oil, lemon essential oil, or lavender essential oil.
- Once everything is combined and mixed thoroughly you can store it in a glass jar.
To use the scrub:
- Take a small amount of the mixture and scrub it in a circular motion on damp skin. Be sure to avoid the eye area.
- Then rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- Use the scrub twice a week for the best results.
- As always, be sure to patch test before using something new on your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is great for many other uses and has many great benefits such as:
- Moisturizing: Coconut oil is a natural emollient, which means it can help soften and hydrate your skin. It can even be used as shaving oil!
- Antimicrobial properties: Coconut oil has been shown to have antimicrobial properties, which means it can help fight off harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Anti-inflammatory: Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce itching, redness, and inflamed skin.
- Hair care: Coconut oil can be used as a hair conditioner to help moisturize and improve the health of your hair. It may also be helpful in the treatment and prevention of dandruff and lice.
- Heart health: Coconut oil is heart healthy because it contains saturated fats which can raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels.
- Cooking: Coconut oil is great to use for cooking, baking, and more!
Wrapping Up Sugar and Coconut Oil Scrub Benefits
No matter your skin type there are DIY scrubs that are amazing for your skin health. There are many of these homemade body scrub recipes to choose from because you can use different carrier oils and kinds of sugar.
Try a simple sugar scrub made with natural ingredients and you will see so many amazing skin benefits. If you use it regularly you will be pleasantly surprised with how great your skin looks. Give it a try, you will love it!
Like this article? Please share it with a friend who would love it on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter!